Thursday, April 22, 2021

Week 13 Story: The Roommates who don't Clean

There were once four roommates named Eli, David, George, and Kaz. The roommates had known each other for a long time before they had begun living with each other, so they figured that being roommates would be a good fit. And for the most part they were right.

However, there was one thing that was wrong. Two of the roommates, David and Eli, were very messy. And it was not just that they were messy, but they were messy and did not clean up after themselves. Sure they kept their respective rooms clean, but they never took care of the common area. They often left their trash in the common area and they never vacuumed the floor or wiped off the counters in the kitchen. 

One day, after vacuuming and cleaning up their trash, Kaz decided to tell the roommates that they needed to make sure to clean up their stuff and that it would not be so bad if they decided to do some vacuuming as well. David and Eli realized that Kaz was right, and they decided to be more aware when they left trash around the house. They also decided to help with the vacuuming.

Kaz also would bring it to George's attention whenever I would clean the bathroom. Maybe one of these times he would get the hint that he should lend a helping hand. After all, he is 20 years old and he should not have to be told these things.

However, David and Eli soon started leaving trash around the house once again. They even left garbage on the kitchen counter when the trashcan was right next to it. I could not fathom it, yet I decided to clean up after them anyways cause they were still asleep. Also I should not have to tell them to throw their trash in the trashcan. IT IS NOT GOING TO MAGICALLY GO AWAY!!!!! IF YOU WERE NOT GOING TO THROW IT AWAY NOW THEN WHEN WERE YOU GOING TO THROW IT AWAY?!?!?!? Also George still never cleaned the bathroom, so I have kind of lost hope that he ever will. 


Mr. Clean


Author's notes: I got inspiration of this story from the Jataka Tale in which the horse gives up his life to make sure the kingdom will be able to survive 7 kings attacking. However, in this story the metaphorical horse is left thankless.


Bibliography: Twenty Jataka Tales by Noor Inayat (Khan), 1939 link

2 comments:

  1. Hi Caleb. Ha! It sounds like this story might come from some personal experience with messy roommates....? One thing that I might re-visit and re-work in the story is who is telling it. About halfway though you start using first person, but I am not sure which of the roommates the narrator is supposed to be. Is he even one of the roommates. I'd just start using first person earlier and establish clearly who it is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Caleb, I totally relate to this story haha. My roommates are quite messy and I always find myself cleaning up after them even when I haven't contributed to the mess! If I had any advice for you it would be that you should try and read the story out-loud to yourself! That often helps me when it comes down to the phrasing of stories!

    ReplyDelete

Week 14 Story: Nine Years Ago

This is a prequel to my week 2 story Rescuing Eli which takes place nine years before.  In the year 1975 there were once two mercenaries nam...