Wednesday, March 3, 2021

Week 6 Story: Poker Night

It was another Thursday night and Zak's longtime friends were about to arrive. As Zak finished setting the table for another relaxing poker night the first guest arrived. It was David, Zak's longtime friend from high school bringing his famous chips and dip. Next came Eli and Dave, twin brothers who Zak had met at the gym in college. They brought the beer. Finally came Shalashaska another longtime friend of Zak and David.

Once the four guest had arrived they chatted for a few minutes and then sat at the poker table. The buy in was only $20 dollars, because David's wife told him if he gambled more he would not be allowed to come to poker night anymore.

 As Zak was about to deal Eli chimed in, "Shouldn't we wait for Hue?" "I don't think he's coming. He texted me earlier saying he has to help his kids with homework tonight", said Zak. "That's alright", said Dave. "He's busy with his new job, and I am sure he's stressed with his wife expecting in a few months."

"His wife is pregnant again?!" exclaimed Shalashaska . "I didn't know that either." said Zak. "Well I am sure he just forgot to tell you since he has been busy recently, but I still am surprised. They announced it to their family a few weeks ago. I only know because I am dating Hue's sister, and it's not like she told me to not say anything."

"Whatever," said Zak. "Let's just play poker."

After the game had ended and all the friends had left Zak wondered if his friend Hue would ever come to another poker game again. It's unlikely he will come to one while his wife is pregnant , and once his kid is born he will have double the responsibilities he has now. And as he thought this he felt saddened. After all, poker night was how his friends and him were supposed to keep in touch, but Hue could not even make that.








Author's notes: This story is loosely based on the gambling match between Yudhishthira and Duryodhana. But instead of the focus being on gambling the story focuses on dialog that happened during a group of longtime friends during their poker match. The primarily focuses on how one of their longtime friends Hue hasn't shown up for a poker match in a month and how their has become a distance between him and their friends due to Hue having to take care of his responsibilities. 

Bibliography: Pubilc Domain Edition of The Mahabharata by Donald A. Mackenzie Link




4 comments:

  1. Hi Caleb! I really enjoyed your story! The gambling match between Yudhishthira and Duryodhana stuck out to me while reading (honestly though I was just mad at the idiotic male pride that made the match possible), so I like how you adapted the story! I enjoyed the dialogue and how you made this group of friends seem so real. Great job on the story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Caleb,

    I enjoyed your story! It was interesting to read a different perspective of the gambling match, as in the book version I read it was definitely more of a "who is better" than something to do for fun. Especially since Duryodhana hated Yudhishthira the first time they ever gambled and took everything he possessed (which eventually was given back). I liked how much dialogue you had, as it made it more enjoyable to read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Caleb! Your story was very entertaining to read. Between the playful poker game aspect, to associating it to friendship, it worked out really well. The connection between your story and the match between Yudhishthira and Duryodhana story was clear, but I liked the dialogue and personal touch you added to it by including the story of the slow loss of a friend with responsibilities. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Caleb! I thought that your story was very interesting and I really enjoyed reading it! I love how you wrote your story from a different perspective. I think you did a great job making it the connection between your story and match between Yudhishthira and Duryodhana clear. Great job on adding dialogue, I think it made it more interesting to read.

    ReplyDelete

Week 14 Story: Nine Years Ago

This is a prequel to my week 2 story Rescuing Eli which takes place nine years before.  In the year 1975 there were once two mercenaries nam...